Huruma hospital laboratory is a catalyst in attainment of institutional vision and mission through offering varied services and tests.
The department has basic machines for administering various common medical diagnoses. The machines and equipments are well maintained and calibrated by qualified internal technicians and external engineers from reputable organizations.
The laboratory has different sections each headed by a qualified staff being supervised by Laboratory Technician. The following are the services offered:
- HB LEVEL
- Blood grouping and Rhesus Factor
- Cross Match
- Full blood Picture 7. ESR
- Sickling Test
- Gram stain
- Sperm analysis
- High vaginal swab/wet Gram Stain 14. CSF Gram stain
- Coagulation Test
- Bleeding time
- Serum creatinine
- Uric Acid
- Hepatitis B and C
- Eectrlyte Na-K-CL 31. TBIL
- TP- PIIHDL – C- P – high density
- lipoprotein 34. Mg-P III 35. Calcium
Comprises of three sections:
1. The X-Ray Department – These section dealswith x-rays of all parts of the body, the department has a new digital x-ray machine that compliment an old Phillips machine which did not meet our annual demand of 4500 patients. The cost of maintenance of Phillips machine was extremely high. The introduction of digital X-Ray machine saves costs of films since images are shared through the system, this has significantly reduced cost of operation. The department has 3 staffs, 2 Radiographers and 1 Health assistant. Our aim is to provide good services to all patients.
Some investigation performed includes
- Upper Extrimities
- Lower Extrimities
- Lumbar spine
- Plain Abdoment
- Barium swallow
- Barium Meal
2. Ultrasound room– this department is fitted with one ultrasound machines that emits very high frequency, inaudible sound waves which reflect off body tissues to create images of internal organs. The investigations which are performed are:
- Abdominal pelvic
- Small parts
After examinations results are sent to the requested Doctor through the system for analysis.
3. ECG room-is responsible for performing non-invasive testing on the electrical system of the heart through a variety of tests. The ECG test that is commonly performed in this room is a resting ECG where one is placed on a comfortable position when test is being performed.
CENTRAL STERILIZATION UNIT
This department consists of four critical sections
Decontamination, assembly and sterile processing, sterile storage, and distribution
- Decontamination area-this is where, reusable equipment, instruments, and supplies are cleaned and decontaminated by means of manual or mechanical cleaning processes and chemical disinfection.
- The assembly and packaging area-This is the area in which clean items are received from the decontamination area and are then assembled and prepared for sterilization.
- Sterile storage area- this section receives sterile materials after sterilization.
- Distribution area-this is the section where materials are distributed to different departments.
Requisition processes happen here where necessary documentation is done
The department has two (2) working sterilizers, Roboster 300 Litres and OT300. The equipment provides sufficient service and ensures constant supply of sterile materials at all times.
Huruma Hospital Pharmacy department is responsible for choosing, preparing, storing,compounding, and dispensing medicines and medical devices, advising patients, doctors,nurses and other healthcare professionals on their safe, effective and efficient use. It is a vital section that forms an integrated part of patient health care in our hospital set up.The Department is responsible for ensuring availability at all times, medicines of acceptable quality, safety, efficacy and their affordability to the community
The department comprises of three subsections:
- This section is responsible for maintaining supply chain management that includes forecasting, procurement, storage and distribution of medicines and medical supplies
- Provision of updates on stock status, arrival of new medicines and change of treatment guidelines, registration status etc.
- Field training of pharmacy students.
• Maintain supply chain to major theater, IPD and dispensing store
• Provision of medicines for people living with HIV AIDS
• Ensure supply of consumables to other hospital departments
• Dispensing store
• Dispensing of medicines to out and in patients.
• Counseling patients on proper use of medicines and Health education.
• Provision of Medicine information to health care workers, students and the public.
Section of the pharmacy that deals with preparing intravenous solutions for the patients.The unit has limited space but the vital work performed there is accomplished by enthusiasm and extra care.
Over 20,000 bottles of the various solutions are prepared annually.
The solutions prepared are:
• Normal SALINE 500mls/250mls
• 5%DEXTROSE 500mls/250mls
• RINGER LACTATE 500mls/250mls
• 10%DEXTROSE 250Mls
• 25% DEXTROSE 50Mls
• WATER FOR INJECTION 500mls/250mls
• Sodium Chloride (DNS) 500mls/250mls
• Unreliable supply of medicines and medical supplies
• Inadequate space for patient services and staff offices